20% of theory, and 80% of practice!
Nowadays, the maritime sphere has undergone drastic changes. Novikontas Maritime College has developed a unique teaching approach to preparing competitive global labour market seafarers. Studies don’t take place at school desks, but they do take place in real settings, where the students learn how to become a seafarer from the very first day.
Training takes place on board Varma vessel or in specially designed classrooms, which are equipped with the necessary equipment to immediately apply theoretical knowledge into practice.
Moreover, most practical tasks are performed by using professional and multifunctional simulators, which allow you to acquire the necessary skills and prepare for all situations at sea.
Duration of program
Upon completion of the 1st stage of the training program:
- Navigation officer program - 2.5 months of theoretical studies + 4 to 7 months of paid training on board. Upon completion of theoretical and practical studies, the students are awarded a seaman’s diploma, and can immediately start working on board.
- The Marine Engineer program - 3 months of theoretical studies + 4 to 7 months of paid training on board. Upon completion of theoretical and practical studies, the students are awarded a seaman’s diploma, and can immediately start working on board.
Upon completion of the 2nd stage of the training program:
- The navigation officer program duration is 3 years and 2 months. The students are awarded a diploma of “Officer in charge of a navigational watch” upon program completion.
- The Marine Engineer program duration is 3 years. The students are awarded a diploma of “Engineer in charge of an engineering watch”.
The students of the 2nd stage of the training program study remotely using the Novis system combining their studies with the work at sea.
It is possible to complete the professional development program within 6 months or a year. The students are provided with a time range of three years to complete the program.
English is an official language at sea, that is why courses are taught in English at Novikontas Maritime College to prepare the students for the work environment, knowledge of maritime terms that the students would be able to communicate freely with their future colleagues.
English level is assessed when entering the navigation officer or marine engineer programs. If a student is not confident about his/her English proficiency, there is an opportunity to sign up for special English language preparation courses.
What is NOVIS?
Novis or Novikontas information system is the best study assistant for Novikontas students. It is a distance learning system that makes the learning process as comfortable as possible and gives the possibility to study at your convenience from anywhere in the world by combining work and study.
- Study program content
- Course plan (detailed study plan included)
- Practical assignments for each course
- Webinar training system for online lectures and consultations
- Communication system with teachers and classmates
- Gradebook to monitor your progress
- Self-assessment tests
- Electronic library
Since August 2017, in cooperation with the Erasmus + mobility program, we have been offering Novikontas students an opportunity to be awarded with study and traineeship scholarships. It is intended for the 2nd year students of Maritime Transport and engineering programs. The amount of the scholarship is from 1600 EUR per year for traineeships, and it is possible to be awarded with a scholarship each study year, a total of 12 months throughout the whole study process. Only 2-year students / 3rd-semester students can apply for studies. The study scholarship amount depends on the country where the studies will take place.
The most diligent, motivated and active students have a chance to be awarded with the scholarship.
Program directors select the best students and nominate them for the Erasmus+ scholarship. Also, students can apply for Scholarship writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Study and earn right away!
One of the biggest advantages of the seafarer’s profession is a high salary, which allows you to start an independent life at an early age immediately after graduation!
After completing the theoretical part of their studies, the students of Novikontas Maritime College are provided with a paid internship on board. During the practice, the students gain not only valuable experience but also their first salary for work, which can fully cover tuition fees.
We cooperate with 28 international maritime companies. The students of Novikontas Maritime College have their internship on board the vessels of those companies, and after graduation, they are able to get a well-paid job on those companies’ vessels or any other world merchant fleet.